Senior Scientist – Cell Bioprocessing
The successful candidate will join a highly motivated team in a start-up based in Birmingham that focuses on developing low-cost, sustainable ingredients to support the cultivated meat industry. The candidate will have the opportunity to experience innovation first-hand by working on Quest Meat’s sustainable food ingredients.
- To work collaboratively as part of a team and also independently when needed.
- To work closely with the CSO.
- To take ownership of all aspects of their allocated project to be disclosed upon start.
- To design and perform relevant experimental studies to achieve the project deliverables.
- To manage time effectively and efficiently to achieve the Company’s milestones.
- To write and maintain accurate records of the research being undertaken.
- To perform troubleshooting experiments when required.
- To keep up-to-date with the literature in the field.
- To perform data analysis and critical interpretation of data.
- To contribute intellectually to the project.
- To prepare written summaries and deliver presentations on the research undertaken.
- You may also be asked to perform other duties occasionally which are not included above, but which will be consistent with the role.
- Ensure and promote the personal health, safety, and wellbeing of their own and other members of staff.
- Carry out duties in accordance with the Company’s H&S policy and H&S rules and practices of the BioHub.
- Carry out duties in a way which promotes fairness in all matters.
- Promote equality of opportunity and support diversity and inclusion as well as working to support the Company’s environmental sustainability agenda and practices.
Qualifications / Experience required (essential):
- A PhD in a relevant Engineering discipline (e.g. Biochemical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Bioprocessing etc)
- Significant experience with aseptic mammalian cell culture
- Experience of operating bioreactors (semi-controlled – spinner flasks and fully controlled)
- Bioprocess development
- Experience of writing scientific reports to a high standard
- Strong understanding and experience of key analytical techniques
- Problem solving and troubleshooting
Qualifications / Experience required (desirable):
- Experience of stem cell culture and differentiation
- Microcarrier culture
- Peer reviewed publications
Skills and competencies:
- Motivated, enthusiastic
- Able to work well with others
- Excellent communication skills
- A strong commitment to integrity in science and attention to detail
- As in early-stage companies, to carry out any other tasks or duties within the postholder’s capability as requested by the Company to meet its needs
- The Company reserves the right to vary or amend the tasks and responsibilities of the postholder at anytime according to the needs of the Company’s business
Information contain herein is not exhaustive but describes key elements of the function.